The School of Science and Technology, Singapore (SST) offers a distinctive 4-year secondary school programme for university-bound students who want a solid academic foundation and immersion in real world applications. SST Students will be nurtured to become:
- Life-long Learners of Character – individuals imbued with intellectual humility and grounded in ethical values;
- Creative Thinkers and Innovators – inventive minds who are able to seize opportunities for the benefit of society and to improve the human condition;
- Collaborative and Independent Problem Solvers – individuals who are self-directed, yet value others’ contributions as they recognize the inextricable interdependence of humanity
- Dynamic Leaders – movers and shakers who challenge the status quo in service of humanity
- Active Local and Global Citizens – stewards of their community and world issues
SST believes that the 5 goals of SST can be achieved through the use of the Applied Learning (AL) approach in delivering its curriculum. AL in SST is learner-centered, active and relevant, process-focused, integrated, authentic and community-focused. 4 key curriculum organizers serve to bridge disciplines in a shift from traditional focus on discrete curriculum areas, as students focus on learning and applying cross-disciplinary skills and knowledge to solve a problem; plan and implement a project; or simply demonstrate their understanding of academic concepts and principles in real-world applications. The curriculum organisers are:
- 21st Century Competencies
- Information & Communications Technology (ICT)
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Interdisciplinary Research Studies
The school has a coherent affective, character and leadership programme which serves to equip students with the skills and competencies crucial for success in the 21st century and nurture the values-driven and community-responsible person and leader. This concurrent emphasis on non-academic curricular ensures the cultivation of invaluable life skills and work competencies such as resilience, responsible risk-taking, innovation and entrepreneurial mindset, effective teamwork and communication, and dynamic leadership.
SST leverages on Information Communication Technology (ICT) to enhance the learning environment and provide the extended learning resources and networks that the digital natives have come to expect. As a “Future School,” SST aims to be a forerunner in using ICT-enabled pedagogies that foster critical and creative thinking and nurture collaborative skills and mindsets.
SST’s strong partnerships with Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and Ngee Ann Polytechnic (NP) and leading industry players such as Apple Inc and DSO National Laboratories, exposes students to varied and enriching learning opportunities.
With the school core values of Forging Excellence, Building an Empowered Community and Expanding Learning Networks, SST is committed in its mission to Develop World-ready and Future-looking Leaders through Innovative Technology and Applied Learning. With the strong support from all key stakeholders, SST will strive towards becoming A Globally Connected Institution of Science and Technology.
For more information, please visit www.sst.edu.sg.